Resting Metabolic Rate Test Instructions
Preparing for the test:
- You should be fasting for 4 hours prior to your appointment. We do recommend drinking water (no other type of beverage) beforehand to make the testing more comfortable.
- You need to arrive at your appointment prepared to rest. This includes not exercising on the day of the test.
- Avoid all stimulants (even prescription based), such as caffeine or cold medications, before the test. For oral non-stimulant prescription medications, they can either be taken immediately after the metabolic test to ensure 4 hours of fasting. However, if you happen to have your test scheduled later in the morning, take your prescriptions but make sure you are fasting for 4 hours prior to the test.
During the test:
- You will be invited to sit in a reclined comfortable position.
- A nose clip will be placed on your nose.
- You will be given a MetaBrether mouthpiece in which to breathe. The gas that you breathe out will go through a tube into the metabolic analyzer to measure your metabolic rate.
- You will be asked to make a complete seal with your lips around the mouthpiece to ensure that all the air you exhale will been analyzed.
- Relax. After about 10 minutes the device will beep, indicating it is finished. That’s all there is to it!
- In the event your results are outside of the predictive normal range, you will be asked to repeat the test.
Please call the office at 919-234-4468 to reschedule your appointment if you are unable to keep your scheduled date and time.