Super Bowl Sunday, the BariQueen Way
Hello, my BariBuddies!
It is almost Super Bowl Sunday, which in my mind means SNACKS. Crunchy, salty, warm, gooey, sweet, spicy, cool, delicious snacks. There is also football, the Puppy Bowl, fun commercials, and competitive friends.
As one who enjoys playing hostess, I know it is important to be yourself, but also cater to the needs of your guests. Super Bowl Sunday being the all American holiday that it is, typically comes with all the unhealthy options one can imagine. As a weight loss surgery warrior, it can be tricky to navigate the carb infested party scene, provide an amazing dish to share, and not feel like you’re left out.
Fear not. The BariQueen is here to help!
After weight loss surgery, we all know the goal is protein first. With limited real-estate in the stomach, it is important to get the good in first. With that in mind, I am here to provide tried, and true high protein, satisfying, low carb, low sugar, fun, and delicious party hors d’oeuvres, or for those of us less fancy— SNACKS!
First up— Bunless Bite-size Cocktail Burgers, for the meat eaters.
- Lean Ground Beef
- Colorful Cocktail Skewers
- Leaf Lettuce
- Grape Tomatoes
- Low Sugar Pickle Slices
- Low Fat Cheese of Choice
- Begin by rolling small meatballs using very lean ground beef. You want them to be easy to eat in a single bite, so don’t make them too large.
- At 400°F, cook meatballs on a foil lined baking sheet.
- While meatballs cook, cut small squares of your cheese, tear small squares of lettuce, and slice your tomatoes.
- Roughly half way to desired doneness, top meatballs with cheese to allow melting.
- Gently skewer your burger topping s onto the cocktail stirrers.
- Once burger balls reach the desired doneness, remove from oven, poke onto bottom of skewer, and gently slide toppings to rest atop the burger.
Next— Assorted Crunchy Pop-Peas, for those looking for some cranky, flavorful goodness.
- Canned Garbanzo Beans, aka Chickpeas
- Olive Oil
- For Sesame • sesame seeds, sesame oil, garlic powder, sea salt
- For Garlic • garlic powder, cracked pepper, sea salt
- Spicy • cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper, sea salt
- Cinnamon • ground cinnamon, splenda
- Rinse canned chickpeas and loosen and stray skins.
- Spread on towels to dry for roughly 30 minutes.
- Once dry, place on parchment line baking sheet in a single even layer.
- Bake at 400°F for 40 minutes. I feel still wet and not crunchy, continue baking for up to 20 additional minutes, checking often to avoid burning.
- Transfer to a bowl and drizzle 2 tsp. olive oil.
- Gently coat with your desired seasoning mixture to taste.
Last up— Buffalo Chicken Planks, for those buffalo wing obsessed people.
- Low Fat Butter Substitute
- Cooked, Shredded Chicken Breast
- Franks Red Hot Sauce, or your preferred wing sauce (remember low sugar!)
- Blue Cheese Crumbles
- In a sauce pan, melt your butter substitute into your hot sauce, over low heat.
- Pour over your plain shredded chicken and stir together until well mixed.
- Clean and chop celery into short planks.
- Fill celery gutter with chicken mixture and garnish with blue cheese crumbles.
Hop on over to the Bariatric Specialists of North Carolina Instagram page, pssst: it is linked here — watch the videos from our test kitchen!
Happy Snacking— and watching. GO TEAM!
XOXO, the BariQueen