A New Look at a Healthier Way to Cook!
Ever look at a recipe and feel like you’d love to try it, but say to yourself, “I am not supposed to eat that”! Well, that is not necessarily true!
Here are some of Patrick’s favorite “stand-ins” for unhealthier ingredients. We urge you to experiment a little and see what works for your taste buds!
- Whole milk– try Skim or 1%
- Light cream– try equal portions of 1% & evaporated milk
- Heavy cream– try equal portions of half-&-half and evaporated skim milk
- 1 oz. baking chocolate– try 3 tablespoons cocoa (if you need to replace the fat in chocolate, add 1 tablespoon or less of vegetable oil)
- Fudge sauce– try chocolate syrup
- Nuts or coconut– try reducing the amount & toast to enhance flavors
- Whipped cream– try whipping chilled evaporated milk or use a reduced fat/low sugar whipped topping
- Sour cream– try a lower fat or fat free version, or blend 1 cup cottage cheese w/ 1 tablespoon skim milk and 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Mayonnaise– try reduce fat or fat free versions, low fat or fat free plain yogurt
- Mayonnaise on a sandwich– reduced fat or fat free versions, mustard, fruit or vegetable chutneys, salsa
- Butter, Lard, Margarine, Shortening– try reducing the total amount in the recipe by 1/3. In baking, replace fat with a fruit puree(pumpkin) or applesauce.
- Oil in baking– try an equal amount of unsweetened applesauce
- 1 whole egg– try 2 egg whites
- Cream cheese– try reduced fat (Neufchatel cheese) or fat free versions
- Ricotta cheese– try 1% cottage cheese, skim or fat free versions
- Whole-milk cheese– try skim-milk mozzarella, low-fat, or fat free versions
- High-fat frosting– try sifting confectioner’s sugar, cocoa, or using a flavored marshmallow creme
- Higher-fat cuts of meat (choice or prime)- try leaner cuts (select) such as round, sirloin, top loin, lean & extra-lean ground beef