Cooking Tips to Reduce Fat
Patrick’s Top 10 Tips to Reduce Fat From Your Favorite Recipes
Here are some great tips from our dietitian, Patrick to reduce fat in your favorite recipes:
1. Use nonstick cookware.
2. Use vegetable spray to brown your foods.
3. Use a small amount of water or broth instead of oil to saute or stir-fry foods.
4. Omit oil from water when cooking pasta.
5. Chill soup and remove the hardened fat before eating.
6. Remove fat from meat (use a strainer, fat separator, bulb-type baster, or ice cubes).
7. Cook with wine for a nice gourmet flavor. Some of the alcohol will evaporate with cooking.
8. Add evaporated skim milk mixed with corn starch to thicken sauces and soups.
9. Use grated parmesean cheese instead of cheese sauce.
10. Use lean meat (smoked turkey without skin, lean ham, Canadian bacon, ground skinless turkey, extra lean ground beef) instead of high fat meats like bacon, sausage, ham hocks, fatback, salt pork, or ground beef.